Announcement

Current PromoNewsAffiliates Promo None Photobucket The New Promo Is ShadowRayquaza! Enjoy! I'm Also Looking For More Staff, Please Email Me(Soul Seeker) For Information About It!

Adverts

Adverts

#1 14-08-14 06:05:14

jinpan1234
Master
Pounds: 9,570
Bank: 0

andled the puck well and gave us an o

VANCOUVER -- Kekuta Manneh made his limited minutes count Saturday. The second-half substitutes goal in the 86th minute gave the Vancouver Whitecaps a 2-2 draw with the Los Angeles Galaxy on Saturday before a sellout crowd of 21,000 at B.C. Place Stadium. "It means a lot to me," said Manneh, who came on at the start of the second half. "Thats what Im always looking to do, whether I start come off the bench -- make an impact for the team. "Today, for me to do that, it definitely means a lot." Manneh, a 19-year-old Gambian who is in his second season with the Whitecaps, fired in a shot from just outside the top of the Galaxy 18-yard box after taking a pass from Darren Mattocks. Following the goal, Manneh knelt and kissed the turf. In addition to setting up the tying marker, Mattocks scored Vancouvers other goal as the Whitecaps overcame 1-0 and 2-1 deficits. Stefan Ishizaki, in the first half, and Robbie Keane, in the second, scored for Los Angeles. The Whitecaps improved to 2-2-3, earning a point after two straight losses. "Ive said all along weve got good players all through the squad," said Whitecaps striker Kenny Miller. "Any can come off the bench and make an impact. And, obviously, today youve seen that. It gives you that (pace.) We (forwards) are in behind and it makes defenders drop off more (deeply) and, ultimately, thats what led to (Mannehs) goal. "There was a little bit of pace involved in that. It was a little bit of skill and a fantastic strike." The hosts rally prevented the Galaxy (2-1-2) from sweeping a back-to-back series with Vancouver after winning at home the previous weekend. "Im disappointed," said L.A. coach Bruce Arena. "I would have liked to get three points today. We obviously didnt do a good job protecting the lead." Miller was disappointed with his clubs first half effort, but was encouraged that the Caps created more chances than they did in Carson, Calif. It was the 10th all-time MLS meeting between the teams. The Whitecaps still have only one win against the Galaxy, which has claimed two of the past three MLS titles. But Vancouver coach Carl Robinson liked the way his club rallied from being "kicked in the backside" twice -- by trailing. "In the last two games, weve shown that we can compete with one of the top teams in Major League Soccer," said Robinson, who feels the Caps have lack confidence against elite competition. "We made it hard work. I dont think, in the first half, we had the belief that we could go toe-to-toe with them at home in front of our fans, and I think we were playing safe. "Obviously, then I made a tactical switch to try to inject a bit of life with the kid coming on, (Manneh), who I toyed with the idea of play with from the start." Ishizaki put the Galaxy on the scoreboard in the 38th minute as he and Baggio Husidic used their heads to score. Ishizaki jumped high to head in Husidics header into the centre of the box from the left side of the area. In addition to inserting Manneh for Canadian international midfielder Russell Teibert of Niagara Falls, Ont., Robinson also replaced central defender Andy OBrien with Johnny Leveron in central defence. OBrien had taken a yellow card in the first minute for a hard sliding tackle on Keane, so Robinson switched the defenders because he wanted to avoid a repeat of the Caps last game at home. On April 5, defensive midfielder Matias Laba was ejected for a second yellow card and the Colorado Rapids overcame a 1-0 deficit to win. "I took (OBrien) off just because I was worried about him getting sent off," said Robinson. In the 65th minute, Robinson tried to inject more speed by substituting Morales for Erik Hurtado and putting him out wide on the right wing. Two minutes later, with Hurtado part of the rush, Mattocks created a 1-1 tie as he ran onto Gershon Koffies long, curling lead ball along the right flank. Penedo beat him to it, but could not control the ball and it bounced off the goalkeeper and a defender back to Mattocks. Mattocks then put in a right-footed spinner from a seemingly impossible angle near the goal-line. "I didnt even look at the (net), to be honest," said Mattocks. "As a striker, you have to know where the goal is." Keane gave L.A. a 2-1 lead 10 minutes later as he fielded a header from second-half substitute Rob Friend, a Kelowna, B.C., native, and then volleyed a shot past Ousted from the goalkeepers doorstep. But just when it looked like Keane would be the winning-goal scorer for the second straight week, Manneh emerged the hero. He offered more fodder in the debate about his playing time after being used primarily as a substitute. "Im a little disappointed that Im not starting (every game), but Im pretty happy with my role," said Manneh, who started the first game against L.A. Both clubs goalkeepers made saves in the closing minute to secure the draw. Ousted made his 20th consecutive start dating back to last season -- a day after his wife gave birth to twin boys. "He was fantastic after, especially, one or two sleepless nights," said Robinson. Notes: Laba played the full game in his return from suspension for the ejection against Colorado. a Keane and OBrien were teammates while playing for the Republic of Ireland. OBrien was born in England but holds dual English-Irish citizenship. a Whitecaps midfielder Mehdi Ballouchy has resumed full-contact workouts after suffering a season-ending torn knee ligament, which required surgery, while playing for San Jose in 2013. a Striker Omar Salgado, Vancouvers first-ever draft pick, who is on loan to Charleston Battery of the USL, is sidelined with a sprained foot suffered March 29, but has resumed partial training. Salgado missed most of the past two seasons with foot fractures sustained on different occasions while playing for the U.S. under-20 team. a Friend, 33, played before about 25 family members and friends. He is in his first and last season in MLS after playing in Germany, the Netherlands and Norway. He plans to retire after the season. a Vancouver midfielder Nigel Reo-Coker was an unused substitute and has yet to play since suffering a concussion in a freak off-field mishap with a bike rack. John Terry Adidas Jersey . AS Roma said Monday that the 24-year-old Strootman will undergo surgery after tearing the anterior cruciate ligament and possibly damaging the meniscus in his left knee during Sundays 1-0 loss at Napoli. http://www.chelseateamshop.com/John-Ter … ersey.html . Media reports had suggested Kaka, who joined Madrid for a fee of 65 million euros (C$92 million) in 2009, may be on the move before the Aug. 31 transfer deadline with AC Milan, Inter Milan and Arsenal among the clubs linked. http://www.chelseateamshop.com/Diego-Co … ey.html.C. -- Canadians Vivian Tsui and Jennifer Kirby are tied for the lead after Thursdays third round of the Royale Cup Canadian Womens Amateur Championship. Petr Cech Yellow Jersey . 1 defence. The Lakers discovered Tuesday that the Pacers offence is becoming just as potent. Diego Costa Adidas Jersey . The welterweight champion is expected to be out for 10 months as a result of the injury sustained in training. "Were going to make sure that Georges gets the right surgery, with the right guy, the right rehabilitation," White said Thursday.PHILADELPHIA - Philadelphias Claude Giroux is proving he is one of the elite players in the league. Giroux had two goals Friday, backup Sergei Bobrovsky made 23 saves and the Philadelphia Flyers beat the Montreal Canadiens 3-1. "This year hes really spread his wings," Flyers coach Peter Laviolette said. "Hes consistently one of the top forwards in the game." Giroux has 29 points (13 goals, 16 assists) on the season. He entered the game second in the league behind Torontos Phil Kessel. He is nearly halfway to his career best of 76 points, set two seasons ago. "Hes a tremendous player," Montreal coach Jacques Martin said. "He keeps getting better year after year. Now hes a leader on their team." On both of his goals, a wide-open Giroux was in the right place. The puck bounced off the back boards to him on the first goal and off a rebound on the second. "I think its all luck," Giroux said. "You just get that kind of game where every puck gets on your stick and you shoot it and it goes in. Obviously, Id like more of those kinds of goals." Laviolette said it was no accident that Giroux was positioned to score. "One of his great attributes is his competitiveness," he said. "Every inch of the ice, he fights for." Jakub Voracek also scored for the Flyers, who got all of their offence in the second period. Bobrovsky improved to 5-1-1. Petteri Nokelainen scored and Carey Price made 33 saves for Montreal. Bobrovsky made his sixth start and eighth appearance in 22 games. He replaced Ilya Bryzgalov in Philadelphias overtime win against the Islanders on Wednesday. Bobrovskys best stop Friday came with six minutes remaining when he stoned Erik Cole from point-blank range with a left leg save. "Without Bob were not even close in that game," Giroux said. "Bob made some key saves for us." Bryzgalov, who signed a US$51 million, nine-year deal in the off-season, has been pedestrian to this point. He is 8-5-2 with a 2.89 goals-against average. Earlier in the season, he complained about a complete lack of confidence. Laviolette wouldnt commit to a goalie for Saturdays game against the Rangers, but praised Bobrovsky. "He was sharp, handled the puck well and gave us an opportunity to win," Laviolette said. Bobrovsky, the Flyers top goalie as a rookie last season, said playing behind Bryzgalov has been an adjustment. "It is not easy keeping confideent if you dont play every game in a row," he said through an interpreter.dddddddddddd. "I try to adjust as much as I can and it is not my choice how many games to play. It is part of hockey." The Flyers outshot Montreal 18-5 during their big second period. All three of Philadelphias goals came in the final 6 minutes, 48 seconds. Giroux controlled a deflection off the back boards and deposited it off Prices back. Voracek put Philadelphia ahead 4 1/2 minutes later, beating Price to the stick side with a one-timer after receiving a pretty pass from Kimmo Timonen from behind the net. Giroux gave the Flyers a two-goal advantage, scoring with 5.9 seconds left in the period. Voracek did a good job of digging the puck out of the corner and passing back to the blue line, where Braydon Coburn took a hard shot that deflected off Price to the right circle. Giroux was waiting there and wristed the puck past the diving Price, who couldnt get back to the far side of the goal in time. "He was in the right place at the right time and you have to be sharper on a player like that," Montreal defenceman Josh Gorges said of Giroux. Said Price: "(Giroux)s awesome. You cant give him time right there. It doesnt take much time for him to put the puck in the net." Montreal opened the scoring with 1:46 remaining in the first period. Nokelainen picked up a loose puck just outside of the slot and fired a wrister past Bobrovsky. Philadelphia outshot Montreal 36-24. Philadelphia defenceman Andreas Lilja sustained a high ankle sprain and will miss six weeks, according to Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren. NOTES: Montreal killed all four of Philadelphias power plays and has allowed just two goals in their opponents last 52 attempts. ... Philadelphia LW James van Riemsdyk did not play and will be out one to two weeks with an upper body injury. ... Flyers RW Jaromir Jagr missed his third game in the last four with a lower body injury. Jagr, whose streak of 264 straight games ended Nov. 19, played Wednesday but was held out of the lineup against Montreal. ... Flyers captain Chris Pronger missed his third straight game with a virus. ... Voracek has 11 points (two goals, nine assists) in his last eight games. ... Philadelphia announced its roster for the NHL Winter Classic Alumni Game against the Rangers on Dec. 31 at Citizens Bank Park. Among the Flyers alumni playing will be Bob Clarke, Eric Lindros and John LeClair. ' ' '

14-08-14 06:05:14

AdBot
Advertisements

Adverts

Board footer